I love baking and cooking! Join me as I explore new recipes, old favorites, and healthier options.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

New Fried Rice

My children love Fried Rice.
Today we tried a new seasoning twist, thanks to my friend, Julie.
Fried Rice
 
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery or peas
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp. butter or oil oil
1 cup chopped ham
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups rice, cooked in chicken or beef broth
2 tsp. garlic
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. pepper
dash of chili powder
soy sauce, to taste
Cook veggies in oil, butter, or butter/oil combo.  Sauté until tender.  Stir in ham.  Cook for 2-3 minutes or until ham is warm.
 
I like to stick with one pan (fewer dishes), so I usually push the veggie mixture to one side of the pan.  Crack the eggs in the corner of the pan.  Stir only the eggs rapidly until well mixed.  You can add seasoning to the eggs at this stage if desired.  I like to add garlic salt, parsley, paprika & etc (if I'm doing a more traditionally seasoned Fried Rice, I love thyme in the eggs).  Continue stirring the eggs until they are cooked.  This only takes a minute or two.  Then stir the cooked eggs into the veggie mixture.  Add rice and seasoning.  Stir and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment