I love baking and cooking! Join me as I explore new recipes, old favorites, and healthier options.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Apple Friendship Bread

After several rounds of traditional Amish friendship bread, I was looking for something healthier.
I found a fantastic alternate recipe and adapted it.  Yum!
Guilt-free friendship bread.
Apple Amish Friendship Bread
1 c. flour
1 c. white wheat flour
1/3 c white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 C. AFB starter
3 eggs
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla
2-3 shredded apples (Granny Smith tastes best)

Mix all ingredients together.  Stir well.  Pour batter into two well-greased loaf pans. Bake 50 minutes at 350, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.  Place pans on rack to cool completely before removing.  Stores well in fridge or freezer wrapped well in plastic wrap.

2 comments:

  1. have you ever tried making a starter??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't, but heard that it works. I'm currently trying freezing the starter, so we can have bread occasionally, rather than coming out of our ears every 10 days.

    ReplyDelete